Thursday, January 22, 2009

My Two Cents

Hello friends,

I'm taking this time to repeat what has already been said by millions, be it the media, activists, or just friends of yours or mine. In watching the inaugural happenings of the past few days, I have been moved--genuinely. Call it cliche, call it predictable or what you will, but, nevertheless, it is how I feel. So bear with me.

I feel as if a weight has been lifted, as if a filter of grey has been removed from my vision. I found myself wanting to hug every person I laid eyes on, everyone. I wanted to sing and dance and to laugh and cry. And I did many of those things. And I sincerely hope you did as well. God, it felt good.

I, myself, decided to support Barack Obama just over three months before the Iowa caucases, and, although at times I became irritated--or just exhausted on account of all of the crap that must be waded through ad nauseum--I never regretted my decision. I did very little on his behalf. I told not a single person to support him. I asked not a single person to, either. All I did was answer questions that were put to me. I told of why he had my support. I told of my trust in him, a trust that just so happens to be a rarity amongst my conventionally cynical way of carrying myself. And I put his name--like so many others--across the back of my car. And, even this small token of support, I admit, I did reluctantly. I live in Utah, not a fan of his types in usual circumstances, and I kept seeing a rock going through my windshield. Luckily, I don't care much for my car, and so I didn't hesitate for too long. I proudly cast my vote for him when the opportunity was afforded. And on Tuesday, I believe I received some semblance of affirmation that I did the right thing. The man, Obama, my friend, has my blessing, my support, and my good will.

I find myself wanting to volunteer to help those that have trouble or simply cannot help themselves. I want to tell everyone not to worry, that the worst is over now. I want to tell all of my friends I love them. I am elated. Stoked. Simply. I understand that many will say I am young. Or Naive. But, once again, of this I am not at all concerned, for if maturing or gaining some esotericism that is bestowed only on the aged is received alongside anything that will nullify or overshadow the emotion, the fervent presence that I feel now--that's how I feel, that I am finally present wherever this place is in which we find ourselves--I can only pray that I never reach such a milestone.

I am also very aware of what lies ahead, that he now has to prove himself. I have no delusions of grandeur. He is, after all, a mere mortal. He can work no miracles. But, he is doing something that I feel has been absent for some time, for far too long, anyway. If he can only harness the emotion, the energy that he has stirred up within so many individuals and in the collective. And I believe he can. I know he can. But he needs all of you out there who are willing to do your part. You don't have to support him, for there is never a need for lackeys. What we need are those who are unwilling to throw themselves in front of the wheels that are now rolling. Let them be. For those of you who fear what America could potentially become at the hand of this man, I ask you: give him his due, give him his chance. Don't stop him before he has the opportunity to take his first steps, and, eventually, to carry us on his shoulders. At the very least, give him the benefit of the doubt--I implore you. For, you cannot deny that something is happening. And I believe it to be a beautiful thing indeed.

As he himself has said so many times, the world in which we find ourselves has seen better days. Of this, we are all aware. And let us do something about it. If not working to render it in the best shape it has ever witnessed, then at least to reinstate it to some of the days it saw when it was just a bit younger. The environment is in a bad place right now. As is the economy. But our humanity is the most pliable of these things, and we find it in a very volatile situation. As much as it's being debated what all needs to be done to stimulate the economy--what tax cuts, what spending--I believe that our humanity was in just as dire straits. And whereas the aforementioned are possible solutions to the economic crisis, Obama, the man, himself, is the stimulus for our spirits. Take the boost. Jump a little higher. Don't quit or justify idleness just because it seems that there is difficulty or discomfort ahead. Just go.

Don't let the ball stop rolling. Follow it. Keep it going. Kick it if you have to. Just don't stand in its way.


Thanks for reading.

And also, I apologize. It is 3:00 am after all. In such circumstance, sometimes I cannot be held responsible for what I say or for how ridiculous I may sound.

Todd

4 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

I'm old enough to recall several inaugurations, yet I, too, share your sense of relief.
Obama probably cannot do all he hopes to do. But we have sunk so low that he has nowhere to go but up. And suma cum laude from Harvard is a very good sign that he has the intelligence to get us out of at least a few messes. Here's hoping he can.

A Paperback Writer said...

I've tagged you for an award and something to post about.
C'mon over and check it out.

Fivasophy said...

Amen. He's not a messiah, but he's a drastically needed step up. And I most definitely will check out the solicitation for postage very soon.

Rich Sanders said...

ironically the ability to inspire (whether it's based on something actual or fantasy) is itself a great reward and the source of much progress. The economy is deeply affected by expectations. And if most people expect it to improve it usually does.

I started supporting Obama after befriending a student from Denmark and talking politics with him extensively around October 2007 ish. I rooted for Obama in all the primaries and followed every debate and all campaigns obsessively. I even wanted Biden to be the VP pick before we knew he was a candidate.

But anyway I'm rambling. You write better than I do and your ideas come across a lot more clearly than you give yourself credit for. Good, thoughtful blog.